“Caught by the Interconnected Web”
Led by Rev. DL Helfer
Worship Partner: Rev. Eric Cherry
Thank you to our Ushers Kamila Barzykowski and Wendy Warburton
and Lay Pastoral Care Associate Kamila Barzykowski
Welcome and Announcements
Chalice Lighting by Wendell Berry
Prelude: Andante by B. Galuppi
Opening Words: “We Belong to Each Other,” by Reverend Gretchen Haley
Opening Hymn: #203 All Creatures of the Earth and Sky
- All creatures of the earth and sky, come, kindred, lift your voices high, Alleluia, Alleluia! Bright burning sun with golden beam, soft shining moon with silver gleam:
- (Chorus) Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
- Swift rushing wind so wild and strong, white clouds that sail in heav’n along, Alleluia, Alleluia! Fair rising morn in praise rejoice, high stars of evening find a voice: (Chorus)
- Cool flowing water, pure and clear, make music for all life to hear, Alleluia, Alleluia! Dance, flame of fire, so strong and bright, and bless us with your warmth and light: (Chorus)
- Embracing earth, you, day by day, bring forth your blessings on our way, Alleluia, Alleluia! All herbs and fruits that richly grow, let them the glory also show: (Chorus)
- All you of understanding heart, forgiving others, take your part, Alleluia, Alleluia! Let all things now the Holy bless, and worship God in humbleness: (Chorus)
Love is the spirit of this church
And service our mission
This is our great covenant
To dwell together in peace
To seek the truth in love
And to help one another
Time for All Ages
Joys and Sorrows
Musical Interlude: Sorry by D.Poupat- Taussat
Sung Response: #1010 We Give Thanks
- Oh, we give thanks for this precious day, For all gather’d here, and those far away; For this time we share with love and care, Oh, we give thanks for this precious day.
- Oh, we give thanks for this precious day, For all gather’d here, and those far away; For this food we share with love and care, Oh, we give thanks for this precious day.
Offering: Our September Recipient of Share the Plate Is The Public’s Radio
In honor of Westminster’s longtime member and supporter Henry “Hank” Sharpe, Jr., our September Share the Plate Recipient is The Public’s Radio. Hank passed away recently at the age of 99. A former president of the church, he was also a philanthropist, a manufacturing leader, and a lover of nature, poetry, and music. Hank was instrumental in the founding of The Public’s Radio, which serves as the public radio station for Rhode Island and Southern New England. The Public’s Radio is committed to providing quality journalism and compelling storytelling that educates, informs and inspires community. Donate HERE
Offertory: Largo by A. Corelli
Reading: “The Web of Life,” by Rev. Robert T. Weston
Interlude – reprise melody of We Give thanks (piano only)
Sermon by Rev. DL Helfer
Closing hymn: #298 Wake, Now, My Senses
- Wake, now, my senses, and hear the earth call; feel the deep power of being in all; keep, with the web of creation your vow, giving, receiving as love shows us how.
- Wake, now, my reason, reach out to the new; join with each pilgrim who quests for the true; honor the beauty and wisdom of time; suffer thy limit, and praise the sublime.
- Wake, now, compassion, give heed to the cry; voices of suffering fill the wide sky; take as your neighbor both stranger and friend, praying and striving their hardship to end.
- Wake, now, my conscience, with justice thy guide; join with all people whose rights are denied; take not for granted a privileged place; God’s love embraces the whole human race.
- Wake, now, my vision of ministry clear; brighten my pathway with radiance here; mingle my calling with all who will share; work toward a planet transformed by our care.
Closing words: “We Create a Web of Life,” Rev. Sarah Lammert
Carry the Flame