Connection Groups – What are they about?
“Around us swirls a shallow, frantic and materialistic culture that leaves us cut off from our deepest selves, life’s gifts, and needs greater than our own. Many of us come to church hungry to mend these sacred connections that get frayed and torn. Come join a Connection Group to be supported in this journey of reconnection to life, others, and ourselves.”
Connection groups are a way of engaging our monthly worship themes through deep listening and open-hearted sharing. Connection Groups are groups of 8-10 committed participants who come together once a month, from October–May, with 2 trained leaders to nurture spiritual growth in community. We do this by listening in three distinct ways:
- First, we listen to each other. Listening is a gift not often offered in our culture. Most of the time, we are “talked at” rather than listened to. Being listened to by trusted companions helps us hear our own voice again. And more than that: It gives our story back.
- Second, we listen to our lives. This is not easy to do. Directly or indirectly, we are taught to see life as a challenge not a companion. The goal is to conquer it, not listen to it. Connection Groups invite us to take another look and dance with life in a new way. Through spiritual practices and questions focused on our daily living, we engage the word not as an obstacle course to get through, but as a host of holy voices calling us to greater loving and living.
- Finally, we listen to our deepest selves. Introspective questions guide us in this work, but ironically, it’s the people and space around us that helps us go inward. We hear that still, “small voice inside” best when voices of friends speak in a disciplined way. Quaker teacher Parker Palmer explains: So what do we do in a circle of trust? We speak our own truth; we listen receptively to the truth of others; we ask each other honest, open questions instead of giving counsel; and we offer each other the healing and empowering gifts of silence and laughter… Our purpose is not to teach anyone anything but to give the inner teacher a chance to teach us.”
Together, these sacred practices of listening — to each other, the world, and our deepest selves — adds up to a more intentional and authentic life. It’s a journey back to connection, and ultimately a journey back home.
Nuts and Bolts
At the beginning of each month, participants will receive a packet of materials based upon the month’s worship theme. From these materials, each participant chooses one spiritual exercise and a deep question to sit with for the course of the month. At the end of the month, participants will gather with their small group to share their experiences of the spiritual exercise, of contemplating their question, and to reflect on the theme.
To Learn More:
- Click to read testimonials from facilitators and participants.
- Click to read Participant Guide.
To join a group: Sign up here by 10/4/20. Please select at least 3 options if possible! We will do our best to accommodate preferences.
Signup Deadline: Sunday, Oct 4, 2020!
3rd Monday 10-11:30am: Mon, Oct 19, 20; Mon, Nov 16, 20; Mon, Dec 14, 20*; Mon, Jan 11*, 21; Mon, Feb 15, 21; Mon, Mar 15, 21; Mon, Apr 19, 21; Mon, May 17, 21 — Led by Amy Prisco and Jill Harrington
3rd Monday 7-8:30pm: Mon, Oct 19, 20; Mon, Nov 16, 20; Mon, Dec 14, 20*; Mon, Jan 11, 21*; Mon, Feb 15, 21; Mon, Mar 15, 21; Mon, Apr 19, 21; Mon, May 17, 21 — Led by Kristin Lehoullier and Clare Karb
3rd Tuesday 7-8:30pm: Tue, Oct 20, 20; Tue, Nov 17, 20; Tue, Dec 15, 20; Tue, Jan 19, 21; Tue, Feb 16, 21; Tue, Mar 16, 21; Tue, Apr 20, 21; Tue, May 18, 21 — Led by Carson Cambre and Laura Giusti
3rd Wed 7-8:30pm: Wed, Oct 21, 20; Wed, Nov 18, 20; Wed, Dec 16, 20; Wed, Jan 20, 21; Wed, Feb 17, 21; Wed, Mar 17, 21; Wed, Apr 21, 21; Wed, May 19, 21 — Led by Judy Adourian and Kevin Fetzer
3rd Thursday 7-8:30pm: Thu, Oct 15, 20; Thu, Nov 19, 20; Thu, Dec 17, 20; Thu, Jan 21, 21; Thu, Feb 18, 21; Thu, Mar 18, 21; Thu, Apr 15, 21; Thu, May 20, 21 — Led by Kamila Barzykowski and Kirsten Czupryna
* Some Monday dates adjusted due to Christmas and the Martin Luther King holiday