Turn the World Around
Rev. Eric Cherry, Service Leader
Rev. DL Helfer, Worship Partner
Sue Bollens, Lay Pastoral Care Associate
Dr. King’s legacy of ministry, leadership, and martyrdom inspires people of faith to hold on to great dreams and accomplishments, but also to remember the tragedies and failures of the journey toward racial justice. ‘Turning the world around’ requires faithful solidarity, acceptance of how white supremacy culture is stubbornly at work, and resilience even when hard truths are made visible. This morning we re-commit that our spiritual community will become a source of strength and a reliable partner in the journey toward wholeness. This morning’s service is multi-generational.
Welcome and Announcements
Chalice Lighting by Rev. Rebekah Savage
Prelude: Small Blues by M.A. Labolida
Opening Hymn: #1028 The Fire of Commitment
- From the light of days remembered burns a beacon bright and clear Guiding hands and hearts and spirits Into faith set free from fear.
Chorus: When the fire of commitment sets our mind and soul a blaze When our hunger and our passion meet to call us on our way When we live with deep assurance of the flame that burns within, Then our promise finds fulfillment and our future can begin.
- From the stories of our living rings a song both brave and free, Calling pilgrims still to witness to the life of liberty.
- From the dreams of youthful vision comes a new, prophetic voice, Which demands a deeper justice built by our courageous choice
Love is the spirit of this church
And service our mission
This is our great covenant
To dwell together in peace
To seek the truth in love
And to help one another
Time for All Ages
Joys and Sorrows
Piano Interlude: Une Femme Libre by J. P. Michaux
Meditation in Song: Ella’s Song performed by Sweet Honey in the Rock
We Who Believe in Freedom Cannot Rest
We Who Believe in Freedom Cannot Rest Until it Comes
Call for Offering: Our January Share the Plate is Beautiful Day is a gourmet granola company with a mission to help refugees to enter the job market and become welcomed, self-sufficient members of their communities, helping refugees adjust to life in America by offering paid, on-the-job training. Every job in our company is designed to be part of a hands-on classroom where trainees gain critical skills and the confidence to enter the job market. To donate go to: https://www.westminsteruu.org/donate/
Offertory: They Can’t Take That Away From Me by G. Gershwin arr. by B. Bizzarri
Commemorating Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
#169 We Shall Overcome
1 We shall overcome, we shall overcome, we shall overcome someday! Oh, deep in my heart I do believe we shall overcome someday!
2 We’ll walk hand in hand, we’ll walk hand in hand, we’ll walk hand in hand someday! Oh, deep in my heart I do believe we’ll walk hand in hand someday!
3 We shall all be free, we shall all be free, we shall all be free someday! Oh, deep in my heart I do believe we shall all be free someday!
Homily: Turn the World Around
Closing Hymn: #1074 Turn the World Around
- We come from the fire, living in the fire, go back to the fire, turn the world around.
- We come from the water, living in the water, go back to the water, turn the world around.
- We come from the mountain, living on the mountain, go back to the mountain, turn the world around.
Chorus 1: Whoa, so is life! Ah, so is life! Whoa, so is life! Ah, so is life!
Chorus 2: Whoa, so is life! Abateewah, so is life! Whoa, so is life! Abateewah, so is life!
Chorus 3: Whoa, so is life! Abateewah, (ha!) so is life! Whoa, so is life! Abateewah, (ha!) so is life!
Section 1. Do you know who I am? Do I know who you are? See we one another clearly? Do we know who we are?
Section 2. Do you know who I am? Do I know who you are? See we one another clearly? Do we know who we are? Do you know who I am? Do I know who you are? See we one another clearly? Do we know who we are?
- Water make the river, river wash the mountain, Fire make the sunlight, turn the world around.
- Heart is of the river, body is the mountain, Spirit is the sunlight, turn the world around.
- We are of the spirit, truly of the spirit, Only can the spirit turn the world around!
Closing Words by Paul Robeson
Carry the Flame