Children and Youth
In support of Westminster’s mission to Welcome – Connect – Serve, the purpose of our Religious Education Program is to support our children and youth in developing a strong spiritual foundation. Together, we learn and live our UU Principles at home, at church, and in the wider world.
Westminster’s programming for children and youth strives to…
- Provide children and youth with opportunities to learn UU history and UU traditions, understand and apply UU principles, and develop a UU identity by offering age-specific Unitarian Universalist religious education experiences.
- Develop an enhanced sense of UU community and connectedness within and across generations, provide opportunities for growing intra- and inter-personal relationships, and creating a sustained sense of belonging to our church community through Whole Congregation UU Faith Formation opportunities.
- Create opportunities for children, youth and families to live out our Unitarian principles by engaging in community service, service-learning and social justice work.
- Foster meaningful, personal connections, grow personal relationships, and promote fun by providing social activities for children, youth and families.
- Expand religious literacy and cultivate an appreciation for the diversity of religion in the United States and the world by learning about, and whenever possible witnessing, the beliefs, rituals and practices of various faith communities, as shared by practitioners of the studied traditions.
- Provide children and youth with honest, accurate, comprehensive, and age-appropriate sexuality education. Build self-acceptance and self-esteem, foster healthy relationships, and improve decision making by sharing the Our Whole Lives (OWL) curriculum in a safe and supportive environment.
We welcome visitors and are glad to meet with families interested in learning more about what it means to be UU. If you have any questions about our UU principles, the sources of faith that form the foundation of our religion visit the UUA website. Questions about Westminster’s curriculum, events, or anything related to children and youth, please link here or email our RE Coordinator, Katie Lally or print our 2016 – 2017 brochure.